Alberta Supports Contact Centre Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

I'm new to Alberta. What resources are available to help me find work?

Look for Work

Welcome to Alberta!

Whether you are coming from elsewhere in Canada or another country, Alberta has many ways to help you embrace the changes.

Get Ready

Start with the ALIS website’s Look For Work resources, where you’ll find

  • advice about writing resumés and cover letters, networking and succeeding at interviews
  • links to work-search videos
  • information about job fairs and career events

Continue by looking up the ALIS publication, Advanced Techniques for Work Search, which offers detailed information about finding work. ALIS CAREERinsite and OCCinfo provide information about jobs, including

  • duties
  • education
  • certification requirements
  • wages

Search Online

If you want to browse jobs, ALIS offers links to a variety of Alberta job banks, while the federal government’s Canada Job Match allows employers and job seekers to be matched based on their respective needs and profiles.

You can also use social media to explore job opportunities.

Talk to Someone

If you’d prefer to talk with someone about finding work, call the Alberta Career Information Hotline (1-800-661-3753 toll-free or 780-422-4266 in Edmonton).

Another option is to, drop by an Alberta Works Centre. Staff in locations across the province can help you plan your career and set up your work search. They can also connect you with employers, tell you about training options and inform you about self-employment.

If you are a foreign national who would like to live and work in Alberta temporarily or permanently, speak to a Government of Alberta immigration specialist.

If you are from overseas and looking for career advice in your native language, contact settlement agencies and talk to their career consultants.

Assess and Improve Your Language Skills

If you need to improve your English, consider

Check Your Qualifications

Many of the permits and qualifications you need to work in Alberta are the same ones you would need anywhere in Canada.

If you completed your education in a different country, check out the following resources: